This gluten-free chocolate cake recipe is an adaptation* of a recipe that also claims to be low allergenic. It does not contain the common allergens: eggs, dairy, wheat, peanuts, or tree nuts-- other allergens that are known about could be substituted. An example is the soymilk. Oat or hemp seed milk are possible substitutes that could be used. For people sensitive to xanthan gum, psyllium husk powder might be a good substitute.
This is written for making 1 9" round or square cake. If there is a desire for a larger sheet cake or a layer cake, just multiply each quantity of ingredient by 3 for a 3 layer cake or by 2 for an 18" sheet pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degreesF/177•C.
I used a round 9" silicone pan that requires no preparation. For prep otherwise, grease pan and sprinkle on some flour or line pan bottom and sides with parchment paper
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose GF flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain cocoa or cacao
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate soymilk
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In the larger of 2 bowls, sift together and whisk all dry ingredients
- In the smaller bowl or a 2-cup measuring cup combine soymilk, oil and vanilla (NOT apple cider vinegar)
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until smooth and well-combined. Be sure to scrape side and bottom.
- Add vinegar to the batter and briefly stir it through light color plumes show that vinegar and soda are interacting
- Pour batter immediately into pan and put in the oven.
- Bake 20 to 30 minutes, checking with a toothpick to see if cake is done (if done, toothpick will come up clean).
- Remove pans to cooling racks. It takes 5 minutes before cake will be cool enough to carefully invert and remove to cool completely on the rack.
- Prepare glaze or icing.
- Frost the cake and decorate as desired, or serve as is in wedges or squares right out of the pan.
- Understanding Gluten
- Gluten-Free Nutrition
- The Gluten-Free Kitchen
- Gluten-Free Baking (includes recipes to make up your own GF flour)
- Gluten-Free kids (safe GF recipes for children)