So, it's in between Christmas and New Year's and you would think that I am all yumm'd out... well, apparently not.
My husband went to town yanks ago to buy groceries, etc. (the etc. takes precedence over the groceries, which he buys just prior to coming home). I'm trying to clean up the 'after-Christmas' fridge a little, you know. And there is this block of medium Tofu that really does take up a lot of room (lol- joke).
Then I look for Tofu Cheesecake recipes and find one for Chocolate Orange Tofu Pie that sounds lovely. Naturally, I don't have the same ingredients and I am vegan (out with the cream cheese-- what's with that? I thought people use tofu to substitute for the dairy?) so there will be a whole lot of substituting going on.
And I need a crust. I've decided not to do nut crusts in the oven... nuts can go rancid very easily, they say (not sure who 'they' is, but I read that). I found a fantastic 3-ingredient recipe for a granola crust... I don't have the same quantities of stuff so, again, a few experimental changes. Here it is--
3-Ingredient Pie Crust:
- 1 C. Gluten-free Granola
- 1 tsp. Palm Sugar (or 1/3 tsp. Stevia)
- 2 T. of melted Virgin Coconut Oil (half a 1/3 C.)
- Pulse the granola until it is finely chopped in your Food Processor.
- Add in the sugar and the oil and pulse until mixed. If still too dry and crumbly, add in water a little at a time until it is raw-pie-crusty in texture (sorry, don't know how else to describe)
- Pat evenly into the bottom of the pan... just has to cover, doesn't have to be built up the sides (like a cheesecake)
2 1/2 T. melted Virgin Coconut Oil
1 (16 ounce/454 g) package Medium OR Silken Tofu
5 tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa powder
1/2 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
3 T. Vanilla-Stevia
1/4 tsp. Young Living Mandarin Essential Oil
2 T. Honey
5 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup mini Chocolate OR Carob chips
1 (9 inch) 3-Ingredient Pie Crust (see above)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In your Food Processor, process the Tofu and the Coconut Oil until smooth.
- Add the Cocoa Powder, Vanilla-Stevia, Mandarin oil, Honey, and Vinegar and continue to process until completely homogenous and silky smooth.
- Remove the blade and fold in the Chocolate or Carob Chips.
- Spoon-pour the batter onto the Granola Crust. Sprinkle with the remaining Chips.
- Bake in preheated oven until set, about 25 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate until cold before serving or at least 4 hours.